Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Story


I really can't say where it all began. I do know that photography has always been something I've always enjoyed. For as long as I can remember, I've loved to look at pictures. Pictures of me, pictures of my family, friends, strangers. It has always fascinated me.
Up until about 5 years ago, it was really only a hobby. Then I started thinking about how much fun it would be to turn it into a career. To have a studio, lighting, lenses, cameras and of course, clients.

So I suppose it all really started happening for me when I bought myself a DSLR, a Sony Alpha 200 and took pictures of everything. My best subject was my daughter. I can still remember her in her yellow princess dress and purple rain boots just giggling away. I snapped a few pictures in front of our old, weathered shed and it turned out to be one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken.
To help me learn a few basics, I took a course at SAIT and started asking people to let me take their pictures, started a group on Facebook and eventually people started asking me to take their pictures. In 2009, I became pregnant with our first son. Things got a little busier for us but I still took the time to take lots of photo sessions with the kids and took every opportunity that came along. I began a day home so I could stay at home with the kids and still be able to concentrate on my photography. When my son was 9 months old, I found out that I was pregnant with our third child and things got even busier for my photography and especially around the house!
I have steadily become busier and busier with photography and I am so happy with it. I can see just how much my photography skills have grown over the years by looking back at the pictures I started taking and seeing the images I take now. It's not always smooth sailing, equipment costs a lot of money, sometimes people will make you feel like you're not good enough, sometimes your own doubt will make you feel like you're not good enough. These bumps in the road only help us grow and become stronger.
Throughout my career, I hope that my images will capture lasting memories and maybe even inspire other photographers or even other artists to pursue their dreams. There will always be bumps in the road, there will always be someone to tell you it's not going to work or that you're not good enough. Don't listen. Listen to that voice inside you, no matter how small it is, saying, "You've got this!"
Pin It!

No comments: